Saturday, January 14, 2012

Week 2 Reading Notes

I appreciated the mix of informational computer hardware and processes content and a more sociological approach to the topics of digital content.

Computer Hardware (Wikipedia article)
Reading this article was a refresher into the different parts of a computer. While I am not a computer expert, I have grown up constantly learning new things about computers. I was familiar with most of the terms and their functions. Also thought back to the computer connection to many of the things that we are learning about information science and libraries. We are inextricably linked to Babbage and Shannon!

The article also reminded me that what I think of as a "computer," my mental image if you will, is really only a small fragment or portion of the types of computers available and used worldwide. I have yet to see a mainframe computer, but would love to! Computers exists on a spectrum all around us.

Data Compression (Wikipedia article)
This idea is a semi-new topic for me. Obviously I interact with different types of compressed data on a constant basis; I just never think about how it gets from one place (or form) to another. I think perhaps more people would benefit from increased awareness about exactly HOW their Hulu video streams, or what the trade offs are between buying an mp3 on iTunes versus spending slightly more for an audio CD.

Lossy audio compression made me think about what the process of stripping away inconsequential or minute parts of data that may or may not be heard could mean for culture. Is there a potential to begin stripping away other seemingly unnecessary parts or portions of created materials? If so, is this good or bad? We tend toward excess, so could this have implications for being beneficial, or could it eventually cause us to loose very important content because we are not aware that the little things matter?

Digitization: Is it Worth it? (Stuart D. Lee)
Lee mentioned in his article that one of the reasons for digitization is the ability to offer increased access of materials. In the LIS program, we constantly talk about access, so I wonder what it really means to offer increased access to particular materials? Who actually benefits from the digitization of rare books and manuscripts, or of increased e-content? Will it increase the possibilities of serendipitous discoveries? I hope so, but I also wonder if the increased access causes a decrease in other essential services.

I strongly agree with Lee's statement that all cases of digitization should be treated differently. There is not a universal answer to whether or not something should be digitized; rather, the process of digitizing materials is an ongoing one and should reflect changes and updates in technologies. My sincere hope is that converted materials will be protected and converted with as much care for their content and for the experience of a physical artifact is possible. Baker's book Double Fold cautions against the destruction of materials once they have been digitized, and I also hope that when possible, room can be kept/made/saved for precious printed materials.

European Libraries Face Problems in Digitalizing (Doreen Carvajal)
Upon finishing this article, I immediately went to the European Libraries website and explored. I did have some of the serendipitous moments of discovery that I love about libraries. I looked at some very interesting old manuscripts and maps, and explored the 1930's car trip!

As discussed in the Lee article, there are always tradeoffs between digitizing and analog materials. I wonder what the trade-off's are between having corporate sponsorship of a national program? What are the implications of the public and private alliances in their digitization project? In similar projects, what will corporate sponsors expect in return, especially one like Google? There was a quote at the end of the article stating "I would never think about not talking with Google." I think we must really examine the Googlification of our lives; at what point is it possible for Google to become an Orwellian Big Brother? I'm not such a Debbie Downer most of the time, but when I think about the power that Google has - power that WE have given them - sometimes I get frightened!

On a more uplifting note, I did notice on the European Libraries website that UNESCO has endorsed the IFLA Manifesto for digital libraries as a way to bridge the digital divide!

No comments:

Post a Comment